Sinh tố bơ is the name of a Vietnamese avocado shake. This drink is a sweet smoothie (or milkshake) that is made with ripe avocados, regular milk and sweetened condensed milk.
When my mom’s co-worker told me that she loves drinking a Vietnamese avocado shake called Sinh tố bơ, I honestly didn’t think that sounded very tasty. I have always eaten avocados in savoury dishes, like guacamole, or on toast, or just on its own with a little salt. I didn’t think it’s fresh green flavour would be pleasant in a sweet drink.
What sold me was the fact that one of the main ingredients in Sinh tố bơ is condensed milk. I LOVE condensed milk! Actually, I eat that on toast too sometimes (it’s really good!), and I’ve always got a couple of cans in my pantry.
So I whipped up a batch of Sinh tố bơ in my blender, and took a sip. I was expecting sometime similar to the green monster smoothie (which didn’t taste bad, but I couldn’t get over the way it looked), but instead I ended up with a rich, pale green shake that was sweet and creamy! If you like buttery texture and bright flavour avocados, you’re probably going to love this drink.
Below if my recipe for a more traditional version of a Vietnamese avocado shake. This version of Sinh tố bơ is very sweet, with a half a cup of condensed milk per serving! You don’t have to use this much – it’s just the amount that I found I preferred. This is more milkshake than smoothie, and if you want to be extra decadent you can turn this into an Indonesian-style avocado smoothie you’ll with coffee and chocolate syrup. Experiment and find your favourite version!
Vietnamese Avocado Shake (Sinh to bo)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, , skin removed
- 1/2 cup milk, , plus extra to thin if needed
- 1/2 cup condensed milk, , or to taste
- Add the ice cubes, avocado, milk and some of the condensed milk to the blender.
- Cover and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Check the consistency. If it’s too thick, add more milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Cover and blend on high again. Check for sweetness and add more condensed milk, if desired.
- Stir before pouring into small glasses or dessert dishes.
- Enjoy cold or room temperature. Store covered in the fridge for up to 12 hours (discoloration may occur).
If you cannot see the video, please turn off your adblocker.
Please note that these nutritional values are only an estimate, and have been generated from a database using generic products.
This recipe card contains affiliate links that support this website. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This is not a sponsored post.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.