Sinh tố bơ is the name of a Vietnamese avocado shake. This drink is a sweet smoothie (or milkshake) that is made with ripe avocados, regular milk and sweetened condensed milk.
When my mom’s co-worker told me that she loves drinking a Vietnamese avocado shake called Sinh tố bơ, I honestly didn’t think that sounded very tasty. I have always eaten avocados in savoury dishes, like guacamole, or on toast, or just on its own with a little salt. I didn’t think it’s fresh green flavour would be pleasant in a sweet drink.
What sold me was the fact that one of the main ingredients in Sinh tố bơ is condensed milk. I LOVE condensed milk! Actually, I eat that on toast too sometimes (it’s really good!), and I’ve always got a couple of cans in my pantry.
So I whipped up a batch of Sinh tố bơ in my blender, and took a sip. I was expecting sometime similar to the green monster smoothie (which didn’t taste bad, but I couldn’t get over the way it looked), but instead I ended up with a rich, pale green shake that was sweet and creamy! If you like buttery texture and bright flavour avocados, you’re probably going to love this drink.
Below if my recipe for a more traditional version of a Vietnamese avocado shake. This version of Sinh tố bơ is very sweet, with a half a cup of condensed milk per serving! You don’t have to use this much – it’s just the amount that I found I preferred. This is more milkshake than smoothie, and if you want to be extra decadent you can turn this into an Indonesian-style avocado smoothie you’ll with coffee and chocolate syrup. Experiment and find your favourite version!
Vietnamese Avocado Shake (Sinh to bo)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 ripe Hass avocado , skin removed
- 1/2 cup milk , plus extra to thin if needed
- 1/2 cup condensed milk , or to taste
- Add the ice cubes, avocado, milk and some of the condensed milk to the blender.
- Cover and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Check the consistency. If it's too thick, add more milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Cover and blend on high again. Check for sweetness and add more condensed milk, if desired.
- Stir before pouring into small glasses or dessert dishes.
- Enjoy cold or room temperature. Store covered in the fridge for up to 12 hours (discoloration may occur).
This is not a sponsored post.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.