Sometimes the best desserts are the simple ones. This brownie parfait recipe combines rich chocolate brownies, with fresh whipped cream, and crunchy toasted almonds. I have included an in-depth recipe below, because I like to make mine from scratch. However, you could easily make this by layering store-bought brownies with canned whipped cream if you are short on time.
I’m a big fan of any recipe that I can put together fairly quickly. My theory is “the faster I can make it, the sooner I get to eat it,” which usually works unless I rush too much and ruin the dish… Oh, I should mention that I don’t usually make brownies specifically for this recipe. This was actually my way of using up day-old brownies, but I see nothing wrong with baking up a batch with the intention of smothering them with whipped cream and almonds.
I think this recipe is perfect for girl’s night in – it’s a little fancy but not at all fussy. I’ve got just such an occasion coming up next month… I guess I already know what I’ll be bringing! I wonder what kind of wine would go with this… any suggestions?
Easy Brownie Parfait
For The Brownies:
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- a splash of vanilla extract
For the Toasted Almonds:
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
For the Parfait:
- 3-4 brownies
- 1 cup fresh whipped cream
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
To Make the Brownies
- Set a double-boiler over medium-low heat. Alternatively, you can set a bowl over a pan that has been filled halfway with water.
- Add the chocolate chips and butter, and stir gently to combine. As the ingredients melt the mixture should become glossy. If the heat is too high, the chocolate will burn and become dull.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove it from the heat. Then stir in the flour, sugar, eggs, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a greased 13"x9" pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. When you poke the middle with a cake-tester there should be moist (not wet) crumbs on it.
- Allow the brownies to cool before eating.
To Make the Fresh Whipped Cream:
- Add the heavy cream to a deep mixing bowl, along with the sugar and vanilla. Beat with a hand-mixer until the cream becomes thick and forms soft peaks.
How to Toast Almonds:
- Place a small non-stick pan over medium heat, and add the slivered almonds. Toast until the almonds are fragrant and slightly golden. Do not leave the pan unattended, as the almonds can burn easily.
How to Assemble the Parfait:
- Cut a few brownies into small, bite-size, pieces. Layer these pieces with spoonfuls of whipped cream, being sure to sprinkle the toasted almonds over each layer. Top with more whipped cream and almonds, and enjoy!
This recipe card may contain affiliate links that support this website at no additional cost to you.