These Nutella Pancakes with Mascarpone Cream are totally decadent! Whip up a batch for a special brunch or Valentines Day treat.
This post is sponsored by Nutella.
At my house, pancakes are a special breakfast reserved for weekend brunch. This is largely because weekends are the only mornings when anyone has time to actually cook! Breakfast is such a miserable experience during the week, that we all look forward to having a nice warm breakfast on the weekends.
Recently though, my mom started making enough pancakes for more than one meal. We just stick the leftovers in the fridge, and nuke them in the microwave during the week. It’s so nice to add a little joy to your mornings with a special breakfast!
In honour of mid-week pancakes, and the fact that Pancake Day is coming up, I wanted to create a special pancake recipe for my blog. So today I’m sharing with you my recipe for Nutella Pancakes with Mascarpone Cream.
I love pancakes in general, but these Nutella pancakes are outstanding! You can really taste the hazelnuts and cocoa from the Nutella in the batter. I think everyone at my house was praying for me to finish taking my photos quickly so they could eat them…
I opted to top these pancakes with a mascarpone cheese based cream instead of whipped cream, because it keeps these pancakes firmly in the breakfast category. If I wanted pancakes for dessert, I’d eat crepes!
Oh, and the ground hazelnuts aren’t totally necessary, but I like the texture that they give to this dish. If you’re going to have a special breakfast, you might as well make it look nice too right?
I had so much fun working on this Nutella pancake recipe, because it gave me a reason to get excited about Pancake Day. I didn’t do anything for Pancake Day last year, and I missed it.
The last time I did anything was two years ago, when I was working at the daycare, and we were still allowed to cook. The kids were so excited to have pancakes as their after-school snack, even though they were made from an instant pancake mix. They didn’t care that the pancakes tasted like the box that they came from, they just were happy to have something special to eat.
And that’s what pancakes are, aren’t they? Special. They require a time, love and patience and are one of the best morning comfort foods anyone could ask for.
Nutella Pancakes with Mascarpone Cream
For the Mascarpone Cream:
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoon 2% milk
For the Ground Hazelnuts:
- ½ cup hazelnuts, , toasted
For the Pancakes:
- 2 bananas, , sliced into rounds
To Make the Mascarpone Cream:
- Add all of the ingredients into a large bowl and blend with a hand mixer until everything is well combined, and the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Set in the fridge until ready to serve.
To Grind the Hazelnuts:
- Add the toasted nuts to a zip-top bag, and smash (carefully!) with a rolling pin, OR add to a nut/spice grinder and blitz until finely ground.
To Make the Pancakes:
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the milk, eggs, and butter, and whisk until blended.
- Add the Nutella and whisk until well incorporated. The batter should be uniformly brown now.
- Melt a little bit of butter in a non-stick skillet or griddle, over medium heat.
- Use a ladle to pour a scoop of batter into the pan. These pancakes are large, so I recommend making one at a time.
- Cook the batter for 1.5 - 2 minutes. You should see bubbles breaking on the surface of the pancake.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancake over, and cook for another 30 second or so on this side.
- Place the cooked pancake on a plate and repeat the process with the remaining batter. If your skillet starts to look dry, you can add more butter as needed.
- Top the pancakes with a few spoonfuls of the mascarpone cream. Then top with the sliced bananas (or other fruit of your choice) and sprinkle with the ground hazelnuts.
If you cannot see the video, please turn off your adblocker.
Please note that these nutritional values are only an estimate, and have been generated from a database using generic products.
This recipe card contains affiliate links that support this website. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This post is sponsored by Nutella.
Please note that I only work with brands that I use at home and trust.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.