Caribbean Macaroni Pie
A sweeter version of the classic Caribbean baked macaroni and cheese dish.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups elbow macaroni , uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 2 2/3 cups evaporated milk , (measure from 2 cans of Carnation milk)
- 3 1/2 cups cheddar cheese , grated, reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- salt , to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Boil macaroni in salted water approximately 8 minutes, or according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy.
Add milk, pepper, sugar and salt and stir until combined.
Stir in 3 cups of cheese, and the cooked macaroni.
Pour into a greased, 9x11 baking dish and top with reserved 1/2 cup of cheese.
Bake until firm, 35-40 minutes.
Allow pie to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Please note that the nutritional information for this recipe is only an estimate, and has been calculated using a plugin.
- Cold cheese is easier to shred than warm cheese
- In Trinidad, people use New Zealand cheddar cheese but you can use whatever you have available
- If the cheese on top begins to brown too quickly, cover it with tin foil for the remaining baking time.
Calories: 639kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 184mg | Sodium: 564mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1050IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 794mg | Iron: 1.7mg