This post has been sponsored by Dempster's.
I've been wanting to share my weeknight burrito recipe for a few months now, but I was having trouble finding the right tortillas.
My favourite burrito restaurant uses gigantic tortillas that can be stuffed and wrapped into a tidy pocket, but the tortillas I was using at home were only about a third of the size of those. Finally, I decided to try Dempster's Tortillas. These are perfect for burritos because they are larger than the ones you get in burrito "kits" and they taste better too.
In this recipe I used beef sirloin tip steak, a cut of meat that is generally cheap but it can also be a bit dry. Another good option would be skirt steak, if you can find it. I added black beans, shredded cheese, refried beans and leftover Mexican rice to my burritos, but you can add any toppings that you prefer. I also served it with salsa and a chilli lime sauce, but these pair nicely with guacamole too.
For more information on these tortillas and other Demspter's products, visit: https://www.dempsters.ca
You can also follow Dempster's on Twitter.
🖨 Printable Recipe
Steak Burritos with Chili Lime Sauce
For the Steak:
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak or skirt steak
For the Chilli Lime Sauce:
- 4 tablespoon sour cream
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon lime juice
- zest of half a lime
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak
For the Burritos:
- 1 package of Dempster's Flour Tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- shredded cheddar cheese, or your favourite cheese
- Cooked steak, cut into thin slices
To Marinate the Steak:
- Toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds and red pepper flakes in a small pan until fragrant.
- Crush the spices using a mortar and pestle, or with the back of a heavy pan on a cutting board.
- Combine the toasted spices in a bowl with the sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice and oil.
- Place the steak into a zip-top bag and cover with the spice mixture. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
For the Chilli Lime Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, adjusting seasonings to your personal preference. Cover the bowl and place the sauce in the fridge until ready to serve.
To Assemble the Burritos:
- Add some oil to a medium pan and cook the steaks for 2-4 minutes per side, or to your liking. Allow the steaks to rest for a few minutes before slicing them into thin pieces, cutting against the grain.
- Heat the refried beans, either on the stovetop or in the microwave, and set aside.
- Wrap the tortillas in tin foil and heat in the oven, or just warm them in the microwave.
- Spread each tortilla with the refried beans, add the toppings you want, then add a dollop of the chilli lime sauce.
- Fold your tortilla and serve with salsa, plain sour cream, guacamole or other sauces for dipping.
Please read the blog post for detailed tips and explanations.
Nutrition Disclaimer: this nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of this information cannot be guaranteed.
This post has been sponsored by Dempster's. All opinions are my own.