This post has been sponsored by Dempster’s.
I’ve been wanting to share my weeknight burrito recipe for a few months now, but I was having trouble finding the right tortillas.
My favourite burrito restaurant uses gigantic tortillas that can be stuffed and wrapped into a tidy pocket, but the tortillas I was using at home were only about a third of the size of those. Finally, I decided to try Dempster’s Tortillas. These are perfect for burritos because they are larger than the ones you get in burrito “kits” and they taste better too.
In this recipe I used beef sirloin tip steak, a cut of meat that is generally cheap but it can also be a bit dry. Another good option would be skirt steak, if you can find it. I added black beans, shredded cheese, refried beans and leftover Mexican rice to my burritos, but you can add any toppings that you prefer. I also served it with salsa and a chilli lime sauce, but these pair nicely with guacamole too.
For more information on these tortillas and other Demspter’s products, visit: https://www.dempsters.ca
You can also follow Dempster’s on Twitter.
Steak Burritos with Chili Lime Sauce
For the Steak:
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak or skirt steak
For the Chilli Lime Sauce:
- 4 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- zest of half a lime
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak
For the Burritos:
- 1 package of Dempster's Flour Tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- shredded cheddar cheese, or your favourite cheese
- Cooked steak, cut into thin slices
To Marinate the Steak:
- Toast the peppercorns, coriander seeds and red pepper flakes in a small pan until fragrant.
- Crush the spices using a mortar and pestle, or with the back of a heavy pan on a cutting board.
- Combine the toasted spices in a bowl with the sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice and oil.
- Place the steak into a zip-top bag and cover with the spice mixture. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
For the Chilli Lime Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, adjusting seasonings to your personal preference. Cover the bowl and place the sauce in the fridge until ready to serve.
To Assemble the Burritos:
- Add some oil to a medium pan and cook the steaks for 2-4 minutes per side, or to your liking. Allow the steaks to rest for a few minutes before slicing them into thin pieces, cutting against the grain.
- Heat the refried beans, either on the stovetop or in the microwave, and set aside.
- Wrap the tortillas in tin foil and heat in the oven, or just warm them in the microwave.
- Spread each tortilla with the refried beans, add the toppings you want, then add a dollop of the chilli lime sauce.
- Fold your tortilla and serve with salsa, plain sour cream, guacamole or other sauces for dipping.
If you cannot see the video, please turn off your adblocker.
Please note that these nutritional values are only an estimate, and have been generated from a database using generic products.
This recipe card contains affiliate links that support this website. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This post has been sponsored by Dempster’s. All opinions are my own.