“You must be really good at cooking now,” my friend said to me the other day. I looked at her and laughed.
“You should see what my kitchen looks like when I’m cooking,” I said. “I’m always droppings things, burning myself – it’s not pretty.”
“So are all your photos a lie? Is it all Photoshop?”
Is that how my images are coming across? Does it look like everything I do comes out perfectly?
That’s definitely not my intention. I just like to post pretty food pictures!
I don’t usually show process photos, because I haven’t figured out how to take photos of myself yet. That being said, I probably could show you more of what happens behind-the-scenes. I might try doing that in the new year.
Until then, I’ll tell you a story that illustrates how not perfect I am in the kitchen.
Two weeks ago I decided to adapt my mom’s cornbread recipe to make something more festive. I wanted to see flecks of red and green in the bread, so I added diced jalapeno and roasted bell peppers.
My mom and I made several batches of this Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread, and were happy that my changes seemed to be working out well. We had several friends and family members taste test this recipe, and everyone seemed to be happy with the result. One person even said it would be perfect for Christmas brunch – success! Everything was going well until I started grating cheese for another batch. I guess I wasn’t paying attention because the grater slipped out of my hands. I tried to catch it in the crook of my arm, which was fine until I realized that I grated my arm in the process.
My brother saw the whole thing go down, and rushed over to the table where I was working. He reached for the grater, I turned my head the wrong way, and his finger ended up in my eye.
And that is how I managed to scratch my cornea while making cornbread.
It’s sort of funny in retrospect… you know, now that my eyeball isn’t red and burning anymore.
The cornbread is really tasty, so I hope you try making it yourself. Just be careful with your cheese grater 😉
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz melted butter
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp roasted red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease and flour an 8x8 baking dish.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the milk and melted butter, then whisk in the eggs.
- Fold in the jalapeno, roasted bell pepper and cheese. The mixture will seem runny - that's ok.
- Pour batter into prepared dish. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
(My mom’s hands, not mine)