This post has been sponsored by Tenderflake.
“Hey, do you want to have a picnic on Centre Island?”
I had to stop and think for a moment. A picnic? When was the last time I went on a picnic?
For some reason, picnics have become one of those things from my childhood that I no longer do. Like riding a bike or going to the park, picnics have become a thing of the past for me. Which is kind of a shame – picnics are fun! Well, at least they are until the ants find you…
Anyhow, when my friend Sarah suggested that we go on a picnic I had to agree. I only hang out with her a couple of times a year, because we’re almost never free at the same time. She works three jobs, and I’ve been working 2-3 jobs over the past few years, so you can imagine what a scheduling nightmare that is!
Usually we meet up at a certain chain restaurant that I no longer care for, and to be frank that has become pretty boring. So now we’re aiming on having our Centre Island picnic in early August. Hopefully! Until then, I’m trying out recipes that are picnic friendly!
I’m calling these sweet citrus tarts because while it is lime flavoured, it’s not as tart as Key Lime Pie. There is enough sugar and condensed milk in this recipe to balance out the acidity of the lime. I’m hoping that this will be appealing to people who don’t enjoy really sour desserts. Like my brother, who seriously despises sour foods (with the exception of lemonade).
Once these tarts have set in the fridge, they travel fairly well in a sturdy container placed in a cooler. Just make sure that the container is small enough so the tarts don’t jostle around, but tall enough that the lid won’t smush them.
- 3 packages Tenderflake® Tart Shells (12 shells per package)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lime zest
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 ml) Sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) Fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup (125 ml) Condensed milk
- 2 cups (500 ml) Boiling water
- 3 Egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Butter
- 1 can Whipped Cream, optional
- 1 Lime, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 pint Raspberries, washed, optional
- Bake tart shells according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine lime zest, flour, cornstarch and sugar. Stir in lime juice, condensed milk and boiling water, then cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens but does not boil.
- Stir a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- Slowly add a little more of the hot mixture, then blend the egg yolks back into the hot mixture. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove the mixture from heat and stir in butter. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and allow to cool completely.
- Pour the cooled mixture into baked pie shell. Refrigerate for several hours or until set.
- Top with whipped cream, and decorate with lime slices and raspberries if desired.
Recipe adapted from: http://appehtite.ca/recipe/sunshine-citrus-lime-pie/1374
Do you have a favourite picnic dessert? Let me know in the comments!
For more yummy recipes using Tenderflake pastry visit Tenderflake.ca.
This post has been sponsored by Tenderflake. All opinions are my own.
This recipe has been adapted from: http://appehtite.ca